Abstract and pre-registration

To whom it may concern,

Please find below my registration form and my abstract for the laboratory
astrophysics conference. Thanks!

Registration form
Last name: Porter
First name: Frederick
Middle name/initial: Scott
Affiliation: NASA/GSFC
Street Address: Code 662, Building 2, Room S210
City: Greenbelt
State: MD
Postal Code: 20771
Country: USA
Tel: 301-286-5016
Fax: 301-286-1684
E mail: porter@milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Citizenship*: USA
Abstract title: Diagnostics of laboratory plasmas with the high resolution
XRS instrument at the EBIT-I facility: a critical tool for understanding
spectral signatures of x-ray emitting astrophysical sources

Special requirements: none

Abstract:

Title:

Diagnostics of laboratory plasmas with the high resolution
XRS instrument at the EBIT-I facility: a critical tool for understanding
spectral signatures of x-ray emitting astrophysical sources

Author(s):

F. S. Porter*
P Beiersdorfer%
G. V. Brown%
K. R. Boyce*
H. Chen%,
R. L. Kelley*
C. A. Kilbourne*
M. F. Gu#
S. Kahn#

*NASA/GSFC Greenbelt, MD
%Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
#Stanford University, Stanford, CA

Abstract:

The X-ray Spectrometer (XRS) instrument is a revolutionary non-dispersive
spectrometer that was developed for the Suzake (Astro-E2) observatory. We
have installed a flight spare XRS detector array in a laboratory cryostat
and deployed it as a unique diagnostic spectrometer at the Electron Beam
Ion Trap facility (EBIT I) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. The
XRS microcalorimeter is an x-ray detector that senses the heat deposited
by the incident photon in a high Z absorber. It achieves a high energy
resolution by operating below 0.1K and by carefully controlling the heat
capacity and thermal conductance of each detector. The XRS/EBIT instrument
has 32 pixels in a square geometry and achieves an energy resolution of 6
eV at 6 keV, with a bandpass from 0.1 to over 60keV. The instrument allows
detailed studies of the x-ray line emission of laboratory plasmas. This
provides critical diagnostics for x-ray emission models including absolute
cross sections for L shell transitions, verification of thermal emission
models of, for example, K shell Fe, and charge exchange interactions
between a hot plasma and a cold target. These measurements are critical
for guiding and verifying plasma codes used to interpret the high
resolution spectra from the Chandra, XMM, and Suzaku observatories and
will form the basis for the scientific interpretation of data from the
Constellation-X observatory. We will discuss the current state of the
instrument, near term significant upgrades, and some of our recent
measurements.

The authors wish to thank NASA's APRA program for funding this work.

--
Dr. F. Scott Porter                Internet: Frederick.S.Porter@gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center   Office:   (301)286-5016