late abstract

I had planned to attend the meeting, but unfortunately am recovering
from a hospital stay and surgery.

Krister Nielsen has already registerd and submitted a poster.

We would like to add a poster and oral presentation under the
following abstract:

The Homunculus: a Unique Astrophysical Laboratory

Krister Nielsen and Theodore R. Gull

In the 1840s, Eta Carinae underwent a massive ejection, repeated
to a lesser extent in the 1890s. Today we see the Homunculus, an
expanding bipolar neutral structure expanding outward at 500 km/s
with a more slowly moving, internal bipolar ionized structure,
the Little Homunculus. The central source is found to be a
massive binary stellar system with a 15000 K primary star with a
hot, O or WN companion in a highly elliptical 5.54 year orbit. The
system is ideal as an astrophysical laboratory for absorption and
emission line spectroscopy. In the line-of-sight, multiple narrow
line absorption components are observed with densities around 10^7
cm^-3 and temperatures ranging from 760 to 6400 K at 10,000 and
1300AU distance from Eta Carinae, respectively. Thousands of metal
lines are identified, plus molecular hydrogen, CH, OH, NH and
likely other molecules. The Strontium Filament, a truely unique
emission nebula located in the skirt region between the bipolar
lobes, is found to be a neutral emission gas excited by photons
with energies below 7.9 eV (Fe II ionization potential), No
hydrogen, helium or nitrogen emission is associated with this
structure thought to be excited by Balmer continuum from the
central source. For most of the spectroscopic cycle, bright
emission blobs and the Little Homunculus are highly excited, but
relax for a few months during the periastron passage. During this
short period of time, spectral lines in [Ar III].[Ne III], [Fe
III], [Fe IV] and Lyman alpha continuum-pumped Fe II and Cr II
emission lines disappear due to a cut-off in UV-radiation. Given
the changes in spectra, we are learning not only about the binary
system and its ejecta, but in turn can use this system to test
atomic spectroscopy. Examples that can be presented include the
greatly improved Cr II curve-of-growth, based upon new
experimental atomic data sets, improved V II wavelengths due to
inconsistencies in the velocity measures that correlated with
energy levels. Problems we continue to face include transition
probabilities for Fe I, lifetimes of metastable states of many
iron peak singly ionized species, limited atomic data on Ca II and
Sr II, and indeed understanding the effects in a nitrogen-rich,
carbon poor gas. Finally we note that the recent GRB high
dispersion spectra demonstrate local ejecta of GRB progenitors are
relatively hot, photoexcited gases (which include detectible
oxygen and carbon). The studies of the Eta Carinae ejecta are
proving to be invaluable for interpreting these new and exciting
results.
Observations leading to these studies were obtained with the Hubble
Space Telescope with the Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph and the
Very Large Telescope with the UltraViolet Echelle Spectrograph.
Funding was through STIS GTO and HST GO resources.