LAW abstract & registration

My Laboratory Astrophysics Workshop abstract (Unix LaTeX format) is
attached as a plain text document.  My pre-registration form is pasted
into this message below my signature.

Thanks much.  I'm looking forward to the workshop!

Robert Hinde
Dept. of Chemistry
Univ. of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996

rhinde@utk.edu

Registration form
--------------------------------------
Last name: Hinde
First name: Robert
Middle name/initial: J.
Affiliation: University of Tennessee
Street Address: Department of Chemistry
City: Knoxville
State: TN
Postal Code: 37996
Country: USA
Tel: 865-974-3141
Fax: 865-974-3454
E mail: rhinde@utk.edu
Citizenship*: USA
Abstract title: Fully-First-Principles Quantum Calculations of
Helium-Broadened Metal Resonance Lines
Special requirements: None

%
% Sample abstract for submission to NASA LAW 2006.
% See page 181-183 of Leslie Lamport's LaTeX book (second edition)
% for more info.
%

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\title{Fully-First-Principles Quantum Calculations of Helium-Broadened
Metal Resonance Lines}

\author{Timothy C.\ Lillestolen and Robert J.\ Hinde}

\date{6 January 2006}

\maketitle

\begin{abstract}

Alkali and alkaline earth atomic resonance lines, broadened by
collisions between the metal atoms and ambient H$_2$ and He, make
substantial contributions to the atmospheric opacity of several
brown dwarfs and other low mass astronomical objects. Analysis of
these collisionally-broadened absorption features can in principle
provide information about the composition and physical conditions of
the atmospheres of these objects.  This has stimulated  both a variety of
studies of the absorption features' line shapes and several attempts
to use model line shapes to fit the observed dwarf spectra.

Here we present fully first-principles quantum calculations of the
He-broadened Na I resonance line, calculations based on high-quality
quantum chemical studies of the Na--He potential energy and
transition dipole moment curves.  We also investigate the
sensitivity of the collisionally-broadened Na I line shape to the
underlying potential and transition moment functions. This makes it
possible to assess the reliability of commonly-used simplifications,
such as the assumption that the transition moment is independent of
the Na--He distance.  If time permits, we will also present some
preliminary work on the He-broadened K I and Ca I resonance lines.

\end{abstract}

\end{document}