NASA Lab Astro Workshop Abstract

Dear Workshop Organizer,
My abstract is imbedded below and is attached as a MS-Word file
and as asc ii text file without formatting. I trust at least one of these
formats will be convenient form you.
Sincerely
Jim Lawler

A Spatial Heterodyne Spectrometer for Laboratory Astrophysics; First
Interferogram

J. E. Lawler1, Z. Labby1, F. L. Roesler1, and J. Harlander2

1 Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison WI 53706
2 Dept. of Physics, Astronomy, and Engineering Science, St. Cloud State
Univ., St. Cloud, MN 56301

Spatial Heterodyne Spectrometer (SHS) designs have the potential to
revolutionize interferometric spectroscopy in the VUV. The advantages of
interferometric spectrometers such as the Kitt Peak 1m Fourier Transform
Spectrometer (FTS) in the near UV, visible, and IR for laboratory
measurements of spectroscopic data including emission branching fractions,
improved level energies, and hyperfine/isotopic parameters are well
documented. These advantages include: (1) very high spectral resolving
powers, (2) excellent absolute wavenumber accuracy, (3) extremely broad
spectral coverage, (4) high data collection rates, and (5) insensitivity to
source drift during branching fraction measurements. We are designing and
building a very broadband, high resolution VUV compatible SHS. In order
to address certain design issues including scattered light, order
separation, and phase stability in a broadband SHS, we have built a Phase 1
SHS with a transmitting beamsplitter. We are planning to start
construction of an all reflection Phase 2 SHS in the near future. Our
Phase 1 SHS has a CaF2 beamsplitter and a matched pair of very coarse (23.2
groove/mm) echelle gratings blazed for 63.5 degrees. Key mechanical
components have temperature compensated designs and many parts, including
the entire optical bread board, are made of Invar for long term phase
stability. The 96 mm wide gratings blazed at 63.5 degrees are compatible
with a limit-of-resolution of 0.125 cm-1 using a symmetric interferogram,
and a smaller limit-of-resolution using an asymmetric interferogram. The
localized fringes of equal thickness from a SHS should be straight and
equally spaced. The fringes are imaged onto a CCD camera in an SHS. We
are purchasing a 4 Mega-pixel VUV compatible CCD camera. The first
interferograms from our Phase 1 SHS were recorded with an older 0.25
Mega-pixel VUV compatible CCD camera. These interferograms are quite
satisfactory. The equally spaced straight fringes in our first
interferograms are indication that the beamsplitter and grating surfaces
are flat to a fraction of a wave. Optical imperfections are much more
serious in a traditional Michelson FTS than in a SHS. We are anticipating
some slight fringe deviations as our Phase 1 instrument is pushed to
shorter (VUV) wavelengths, but small deviations can be corrected with
software after transferring the interferogram from the CCD. Similar
optical imperfections from either figure or index of refraction variations
in a Michelson FTS lower fringe contrast and degrade the instrument
sensitivity. The use of a CCD camera to record the spatially distributed
interferogram means that the SHS is quite compatible with transient, low
duty cycle sources which are common in the VUV.

Supported by NASA.

James E. Lawler
Arthur and Aurelia Schawlow Professor of Physics
University of Wisconsin
1150 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53706

tele: 608 262 2918
fax: 608 265 2334

%
% Sample abstract for submission to NASA LAW 2006.
% See page 181-183 of Leslie Lamport's LaTeX book (second edition)
% for more info.
%
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\title

A Spatial Heterodyne Spectrometer for Laboratory Astrophysics; First Interferogram

\author

J. E. Lawler1, Z. Labby1, F. L. Roesler1, and J. Harlander2

1 Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison WI 53706
2 Dept. of Physics, Astronomy, and Engineering Science, St. Cloud State Univ., St. Cloud, MN 56301

\date{24 September 2005}

\maketitle

\begin{abstract}

[...]

\end{abstract}