Abstract for LAW

Attached is a text document that contains a registration form and
abstract for the Laboratory
Astrophysics Workshop. A registration form for me may have already
been sent in for me by
our Training Staff here at NASA Ames -- so please make sure that I am
listed only once (they
did not have my abstract however, and were only meant to pay for the
registration).
In case you have trouble opening and reading the attachment, the
information contained in the
attachment is given below.

Best regards, Tim Lee

Registration form

Last name: Lee

First name: Timothy

Middle name/initial: J.

Affiliation: NASA Ames Research Center

Street Address: Mail Stop 245-6

City: Moffett Field

State: California

Postal Code: 94035-1000

Country: USA

Tel: (650)604-5208

Fax: (650)604-6779

E mail: tjlee@mail.arc.nasa.gov

Citizenship*: USA

Abstract title: Calculation of Ro-vibrational Spectra: State-of-the Art

Special requirements:

*Non-US citizens should contact Cara Loomis if travel reimbursement
for the Workshop is required.

****************Abstract

NASA Laboratory Astrophysics Workshop 2006 Abstract Template

Title: Calculation of Ro-vibrational Spectra: State-of-the Art

Author(s): Timothy J. Lee, Christopher E. Dateo, and David W. Schwenke

Abstract:

The state-of-the art in the calculation of ro-vibrational spectra of
small molecules of interest
in astronomy and astrophysics is demonstrated through several
examples. The highly accurate quantum
chemistry method, singles and doubles coupled-cluster theory with a
perturbational correction for
triple excitations, denoted CCSD(T), is used to compute a purely ab
initio potential energy surface
(PES). Corrections for correlation of core electrons, higher-order
correlation effects, and
scaler relativistic effects, among others, are incorporated into the
final purely ab initio PES.
Ro-vibrational calculations show that such potentials are highly
accurate and, for example, can
produce fundamental vibrational frequencies to within 1 cm-1. It is
shown that further refinement
of the potential using high resolution experimental data, can
decrease errors for ro-vibrational energy
levels by several orders of magnitude. In fact, potentials
constructed in this way lead to the
most reliable opacity data for small molecules available. Examples
of this work will be shown for
several small molecules.
--
Dr. Timothy J. Lee
Acting Branch Chief, Astrophysics Branch