NASA LAW abstract and preregistration form

Hi,
Attached is a latex file for my abstract and also
a text file for the registration form - I sent the paper
registration form with a check for $125 by overnight mail
yesterday. Please let me know if there is anything else
I need to do at this point - I am already booked into the
hotel as well.
Thanks and Cheers,
Tom
--
| |
| Dr. Thomas W. Gorczyca |

%
% Sample abstract for submission to NASA LAW 2006.
% See page 181-183 of Leslie Lamport's LaTeX book (second edition)
% for more info.
%
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\title{Calculation of Atomic Data for NASA Missions}

\author{
T. W. Gorczyca$^1$, K. T. Korista$^1$, J. Fu$^{1*}$, D. Nikolic$^{1*}$,\\
M. F. Hasoglu$^{1\dagger}$, I. Dumitriu$^{1\dagger}$, N. R. Badnell$^2$,
D. W. Savin$^3$,\\ and S. T. Manson$^4$\\ \\
$^1$Department of Physics, Western Michigan University\\
$^2$Department of Physics, University of
Strathclyde\\
$^3$Columbia Astrophysics Laboratory,
Columbia University\\
$^4$Department of Physics and Astronomy, Georgia State University\\
$^*$Postdoctoral Research Associates supported by NASA\\
$^\dagger$Graduate Students supported by NASA}

\date{6 January 2006}

\maketitle

\begin{abstract}

The interpretation of cosmic spectra relies on a vast sea of
atomic data which are not readily obtainable from analytic
expressions or simple calculations.  Rather, their evaluation
typically requires state-of-the-art atomic physics calculations,
with the inclusion of weaker effects (spin-orbit and
configuration interactions, relaxation, Auger broadening,
etc.), to achieve the level of accuracy needed for use by
astrophysicists.
Our NASA-supported research program is focused on calculating
data for three important
atomic processes, 1) dielectronic recombination (DR),
2) inner-shell photoabsorption,
and 3) fluorescence and Auger decay of inner-shell vacancy states.
Our DR work has produced rate coefficients for all H-like through
Na-like ions up to nuclear charge $Z=30$. We compare some of these to existing experimental measurements. Present work is focused
on the more challenging third-row isoelectronic sequences, some of which will
be presented.  K-shell photoabsorption cross sections for
all oxygen and neon ions will be presented and compared to
existing experimental measurements (i.e., neutral species only).
These newly computed data have already been used
 to infer elemental abundances in the ISM by Juett, Schulz, and Chakrabarty.
 We also present new fluorescence yields for all second-row
K-shell-vacancy isoelectronic sequences, where the inclusion
of higher-order effects frequently
give results that differ considerably from the currently
recommended data.

This work was supported in part by a NASA APRA grant.

\end{abstract}

\end{document}
}

	NASA Laboratory Astrophysics Workshop
	University of Nevada, Las Vegas
	Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
	14-16 February 2006

	Registration form

Last name:             Gorczyca
First name:            Thomas
Middle name/initial:   Ward
Affiliation:           Western Michigan
Street Address:        Dept. of Physics, 1903 West Michigan Avenue
City:                  Kalamazoo
State:                 Michigan
Postal Code:           49008-5252
Country:               USA
Tel:                   (269)387-4913
Fax:                   (269)387-4939
E mail:                gorczyca@wmich.edu
Citizenship*:          US
Abstract title         Calculation of Atomic Data for NASA Missions
Special requirements:  None