abstract

Hi,

I've used the unix LaTeX template you provided.  The author list will
come out better using your own processing, right?  Did you want us
to include affiliations?--I wasn't sure how to do that.  I include
full info below if needed, but feel free to chop ZIP code, city, or
whatever is necessary to match your desired format.  Thanks.

--Brad

B.J.~Wargelin,
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics,
60 Garden Street,
Cambridge, MA 02138

P.~Beiersdorfer, G.V.~Brown, H.~Chen, J.H.~Scofield,
Department of Physics,
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory,
Livermore, CA 94550

P.A.~Neill,
Department of Physics, University of Nevada, Reno, NV 89557

R.E.~Olson,
Department of Physics, University of Missouri, Rolla, MO 65401

%
% Sample abstract for submission to NASA LAW 2006.
% See page 181-183 of Leslie Lamport's LaTeX book (second edition)
% for more info.
%
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\title{Charge Exchange Spectra of\\ H-like and He-like Iron}

\author{B.J.~Wargelin \and P.~Beiersdorfer \and G.V.~Brown \and H.~Chen
\and P.A.~Neill \and R.E.~Olson \and J.H.~Scofield}

\date{05 January 2006}

\maketitle

\begin{abstract}
In our experiments, bare iron (Fe$^{26+}$) and
hydrogen-like iron (Fe$^{25+}$)
ions are produced in the Livermore electron beam ion trap, and a neutral
target gas (either N$_{2}$, He, or H$_{2}$) is injected into the trap.
The ions then undergo charge exchange reactions at a collision energy of
$\sim$10 eV/amu and produce Fe {\sc xxv} and Fe {\sc xxvi}
emission.  These spectra are recorded with a solid-state
Ge detector and/or the X-Ray Spectrometer (XRS) microcalorimeter
provided by the Goddard Space Flight Center, which has
an energy resolution of better than 10 eV.
As expected, strong enhancement of
emission from the Fe {\sc xxv} forbidden and intercombination lines
is observed, compared with the
dominance of the resonance line in electron-impact-excitation spectra.
Surprisingly, however,
the Fe {\sc xxvi} high-$n$ Lyman lines have a summed intensity that in
most instances is greater
than that of Ly$\alpha$; this is substantially stronger
than predicted
from theoretical calculations of charge exchange with atomic H.
We conclude that the angular momentum distribution resulting from
electron capture using a multi-electron target gas is significantly
different from that obtained with H, resulting in the observed
high-$n$ enhancement.

\end{abstract}

\end{document}