abstract submission

Please find attached my registration form and abstract.

Thanks,

Paul

--
Paul Bryans
Columbia Astrophysics Laboratory

Registration form
Last name: Bryans
First name: Paul
Middle name/initial:
Affiliation: Columbia Astrophysics Laboratory
Street Address: 550 West 120th Street
City: New York
State: New York
Postal Code: 10027
Country: USA
Tel: 212-854-1449
Fax: 212-854-8121
E mail: bryans@astro.columbia.edu
Citizenship*: British
Abstract title: Collisional Ionization Equilibrium for Optically Thin Plasmas
Special requirements:
*Non-US citizens should contact Cara Loomis if travel reimbursement for the Workshop is required.
%
% Sample abstract for submission to NASA LAW 2006.
% See page 181-183 of Leslie Lamport's LaTeX book (second edition)
% for more info.
%
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\title{Collisional Ionization Equilibrium for Optically Thin Plasmas}

%\author{
%P. Bryans,
%W. Mitthumsiri,
%D. W. Savin\\
%Columbia Astrophysics Laboratory, New York, NY
%\and
%J. M. Laming\\
%US Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC
%\and
%N. R. Badnell\\
%University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
%\and
%T. W. Gorczyca\\
%Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
%}
\author{P. Bryans$^1$, N. R. Badnell$^2$, T. W. Gorczyca$^3$,
J. M. Laming$^4$,\\ W. Mitthumsiri$^1$, and D. W. Savin$^1$
\\\\
$^1$Columbia Astrophysics Laboratory, New York, NY, USA\\
$^2$University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK\\
$^3$Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, USA\\
$^4$US Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, USA\\
}
\date{2 December 2005}

\maketitle

\begin{abstract}

Reliably interpreting spectra from electron-ionized cosmic plasmas requires
accurate ionization balance calculations for the plasma in question.  However,
much of the atomic data needed for these calculations have not been generated
using modern theoretical methods and their reliability are often highly
suspect.  We have carried out state-of-the-art calculations of dielectronic
recombination (DR) rate coefficients for the hydrogenic through Na-like ions of
all elements from He to Zn.  We have also carried out state-of-the-art radiative
recombination (RR) rate coefficient calculations for the bare through Na-like
ions of all elements from H to Zn.  Using our data and the recommended electron
impact ionization data of Mazzotta et al.\ (1998), we present improved
collisional ionization equilibrium calculations. We compare our calculated
fractional ionic abundances using these data with those presented by Mazzotta et
al.\ (1998) for all elements from H to Ni, and with the fractional abundances
derived from the modern DR and RR calculations of Gu (2003a,b, 2004) for Mg, Si,
S, Ar, Ca, Fe, and Ni.

This work is supported in part by the NASA APRA program.

\end{abstract}

\end{document}