NASA Laboratory Astrophysics Workshop

NASA Laboratory Astrophysics Workshop 2006
Abstract

Title:

Laboratory Simulations in Ices and Minerals

Author(s):

Raul Baragiola
Cathy Dukes
Mark Loeffler
Benjamin Teolis
Ujjwal Raut
Laboratory for Atomic and Surface Physics, University of Virginia,
Charlottesville, VA

Abstract:

We will present the experimental capabilities of our laboratory at
Virginia that have been applied over the years to address questions
concerning airless bodies in the solar system and interstellar space. The
processes investigated are thermal processes (gas-surface interactions,
sublimation, phase changes) and interactions of energetic ions and
ultraviolet photons with materials that lead to desorption / sputtering,
chemical synthesis and alterations, amorphization, and electrostatic
charging). The presentation will include data showing new aspects or
considerations about conventional techniques, such as infrared
reflectance and temperature programmed desorption, but it will include
some innovative or unconventional techniques, such as piezoelectric
microgravimetry, electron spectroscopies, nanosecond laser ablation, and
UV-visible spectroscopic interferometry.  Our goal will be to show
the community what can be measured and what are the opportunities for
collaborations.  This will be illustrated with results that have
been useful to solve some concrete problems: photodesorption of ice
mantles, molecular synthesis by radiolysis, Na atmospheres around the
Moon and Mercury, and the recently discovered "fountains" of
Enceladus.

Prof. Raul Baragiola Department of Materials Science and Engineering University of Virginia, 116 Engineer's Way Charlottesville, VA 22904-4745