Registration/Abstract

REGISTRATION FORM

Last name: Manson
First name: Steven
Middle name/initial: T
Affiliation: Georgia State University
Street Address: Department of Physics and Astronomy
City: Atlanta
State: GA
Postal Code: 30303
Country: USA
Tel: 404-651-3082
Fax: 404-651-1427
E-mail: smanson@gsu.edu
Citizenship*: USA
Abstract title: The Atomic and Ionic Data for Astrophysics (AIDA)
Project at Georgia State University
Special requirements:

--
Steven T. Manson smanson@gsu.edu
Department of Physics and Astronomy

%
% Sample abstract for submission to NASA LAW 2006.
% See page 181-183 of Leslie Lamport's LaTeX book (second edition)
% for more info.
%
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\title{The Atomic and Ionic Data for Astrophysics (AIDA) Project at Georgia State University}

\author{Steven T. Manson}

\date{19 December 2005}

\maketitle

\begin{abstract}
Data on atoms and ions that are present in astrophysical objects are crucial to interpreting
astronomical data and, thereby, crucial to the understanding of these objects and the ultimate
success of NASA missions.  Among the most important data are photoionization rates (cross
sections) of atoms and ions and the relaxation of the photoionized ion to the ejection of one
or more photoelectrons.  This relaxation is of critical importance for inner-shell ionization
after which the photoion decays {\em via} either radiation (typically in the far UV or x-ray
range), or radiationless Auger decay accompanied by the emission of an Auger electron (usually
a quite energetic electron.

At Georgia State University, there is a long history of calculations of atomic and ionic
photoionization cross sections, along with the resulting relaxation processes, spanning five
decades.  Many of these calculations have been performed with an eye towards astrophysical
applications.  In the course of this work, an array of state-of-the-art methodologies have been
developed to perform the photoionization calculations, e.g., R-Matrix (in a number of different
forms including the Breit-Pauli and Eigenchannel versions),  Relativistic Random Phase Approximation
(RRPA) and the associated Relativistic Multichannel Quntum Defect Theory (RMQDT), Randon Phase
Approximation with Exchange (RPAE), and Augmented Many-Body Perturbation Theory (AMBPT).  This
arsenal of methodologies has allowed us to fit the methodology to the problem, not the other way
around.  In addition, the variety of methodologies allows us to provide "quality control" for
our results.  Furthermore, we work in close collaboration with experimenters for the ultimate
"quality control".

This work has morphed into the AIDA project at present.  Here we are concerned with providing
accurate photoionization data to the astrophysical community on both inner shells and outer shells
of ground and metastable states of atoms and ions of astrophysical interest, eventually posting
the data on an AIDA web site.  Some examples of our recent results will be presented along with
a prospectus of future calculations.

The work reported is supported by NASA.
\end{abstract}

\end{document}