Abstract - Laboratory Astrophysics Workshop

  Dear SOC,

  Below is my abstract for the invited talk that I'll be giving in place
of Ivan Hubeny at the Laboratory Astrophysics Workshop.  (My registration
details are also below).

  Thanks.

Dr. C. Ian Short                        Office: MM 301A
Assistant Professor                     email: ishort@ap.stmarys.ca
Department of Astronomy & Physics       http://apwww.stmarys.ca/~ishort/
Institute for Computational Astrophysics
St. Mary's University

 Abstract:

 Physical data needs for select problems in stellar atmospheres

 Over the past ten years there has been a renewal of interest in stellar
atmospheric and spectrum modeling and the information it can provide.
This has been driven by several observational developments: 1) the discovery
and characterization of Brown Dwarfs, 2) the discovery of extremely metal poor
(XMP) stars, 3) the discovery of extra-solar planetary systems, and 4) the
surprising revision in the abundances of important elements in the solar
atmosphere.  Various of these fields are dependent upon, and plagued by uncertainty
in, physical data for atomic and molecular radiative and collisional processes.
Particular areas of concern include data for Iron group elements and collisional
cross-sections for molecules.  At stake is our ability to use stars as accurate
tracers of the chemical evolution of galaxies, and the interaction of
planetary systems with their host stars.

Last name: Short
First name: Ian
Middle name/initial:
Affiliation: Saint Mary's University/Institute for Computational
Astrophysics
Street Address: 923 Robie St.
City: Halifaxx
State: Nova Scotia (NS)
Postal Code: B2V 1W3
Country: Canada
Tel: 902-496-8194
Fax: 902-496-8218
E mail: ishort@ap.smu.ca
Citizenship*: Canadian
Abstract title: Physical data requirements for select problems in stellar
atmospheres
Special requirements: None.
*Non-US citizens should contact Cara Loomis if travel reimbursement for
the Workshop is required.